Thursday, November 16, 2006

Spotlight Interview with Miss Liberia in the US Ro Pauline K Doe by Robert Sayon Morris Editor in Chief Liberian Media and Advertising Services


Liberia, a country in West Africa , is blessed with many young and charming ladies. Miss Ro-Pauline Kun Doe, Miss Liberia USA, is a Liberian and she has all the qualities to be called a Queen! She is gorgeous, brilliant, beautiful, attractive, respectful and captivating!

Recently, Robert Sayon Morris, Editor-In-Chief of the Liberian Media & Advertising Services, the number #1 Liberian news online service in the Diaspora, interviewed Miss Doe. She expressed her mind on everything from the day she entered the United States , to the day she became Miss Liberia USA . Since Miss Doe captured that title, her life has never been the same! Robert was highly impressed with her responses and decided to publish the interview unedited.

1. Liberian Media: Can you briefly introduce yourself?

Miss Liberia USA : My name is Ro.-Pauline Kun Doe. I was born in Liberia but left in 1984 because of the war. I currently attend the University of Pennsylvania . In April 2006, I won the Miss Liberia USA PA Competition and then went on to win Miss Liberia USA in July 2006.


2. What is the relationship between you and Miss Liberia in America , Tammy Garr?

Miss Liberia USA : Unfortunately, I have never met Miss Tammy Garr. I have heard about her and have even seen pictures of her on the Internet. I have no doubt that someone I know directly knows her as well. I would like for there to be a connection between the two organizations.

3. Liberian Media: What did you receive along with the Miss Liberia USA Title?

Miss Liberia USA : I received a laptop computer, which I absolutely LOVE! Winning this competition was a blessing because I really needed a portable computer for school. I take it with me everywhere even on vacations to watch DVDs on the ride. I also won $1500 cash. That's the most amount of money that I have EVER had in my account but unfortunately spring semester starts in a couple of months and all that money will be gone. I won my crown and sash, which I get to keep and a gift basket of beauty products. Also from winning this title I have acquired lots of exposure in the Liberian community and new found connections, such as your organization, where I can endorse my platform.

4. Liberian Media: What role have pageants played in your life?

Miss Liberia USA : The Miss Liberia USA Pageants have played an essential role in my life. They have given me courage, strength, and everlasting friendships with beautiful, intelligent Liberian ladies from around the country that I probably would have never met on my own. This pageant has been a blessing because it has steadily provided me with the proper outlets I need for my voice to be heard in the Liberian Community.

5. Liberian Media: What does pageantry do for you?

Miss Liberia USA : When I entered the Miss Liberia USA pageant, I NEVER thought that I would win. Therefore, pageantry definitely gives me confidence. Pageantry helps me to believe in myself.

6. Liberian Media: What encouragement has your mother given you to have prepared you for today?

Miss Liberia USA : Wow, my mother is VERY encouraging in everyway. Some times are hard and we go through our usual mother-daughter spats but she is always there for me. She turns every small accomplishment I make in life into a HUGE DEAL so of course she is very proud that her daughter is Miss Liberia USA USA . She tells EVERYONE EVERYWHERE we go from the restaurant to the supermarket. From when I was young, she made me believe that if I put my mind and complete effort towards winning & overcoming an obstacle, then that almost impossible obstacle will then just become another conquered success. She has taught me from small to put God and school at the top of my list and everything else in life will fall into place. Last December, she celebrated her 50th Birthday so a very special congratulations to her.



7. Liberian Media: What could you say is one of your greatest accomplishments to date?

Miss Liberia USA: On of my greatest accomplishments to date other than winning Miss Liberia USA would be earning acceptance into such a prestigious school as the University of Pennsylvania. Not many people can say they attend or attended an Ivy League school AND are earning high honors, but I can because that is a great accomplishment to me.



8. Liberian Media: What is your greatest passion?
Miss Liberia USA : My greatest passion is just making a positive impact in the Liberian community. I don't want to be here today, gone tomorrow type person. I want my name to be remembered and the only way to do that is to make a difference.

9. Liberian Media: Can you tell us about your educational background?

Miss Liberia USA : For grades Pre-Kindergarten to 8th grade, I attended Sanctuary Christian Academy in Philadelphia , PA. It was a private Christian school that practically laid down the foundation for my life. In high school I was an A Better Chance Scholar and attended boarding school in State College , PA at State College Area High School , which is about 4 hours NW from Philadelphia . The A Better Chance Organization is a privately funded program that seeks educationally elite students out of the city and places them into renowned high schools around the country. For two years I attended Temple University but after gaining acceptance to the University of Pennsylvania , I transferred and this is where I plan on earning a Master of Arts Degree with a Major in Biology and a Minor in African Studies.



10. Liberian Media: What has been the foundation of your success?

Miss Liberia USA : My family has been the foundation of my success. Without their constant encouragement and love, I don't know where I would be right now. And my faith has been a great foundation of my success. My belief teaches me that with time, hope and prayer, anything is possible.

11. Liberian Media: What are your future plans?

Miss Liberia USA: Well, there are many personal future plans but as far as Miss Liberia USA related plans there is a pageant that I will be a contestant in which will be held in Miami. There are also community programs such as the “Elderly Appreciation” dinner and “Toys for Tots in December. I would like to also have a gala/fundraiser for HIV/AIDS awareness in Liberia . A similar one that I attended in Maryland was a great success.


12. Liberian Media: What message do you have for Liberians in the US ?

Miss Liberia USA : Love yourself when no one else does. Love the Lord, because he does hear your cries. Love our country, Liberia . Let our voices be heard!

No comments: