Friday, September 01, 2006

Memoirs of a Liberian Queen -Miss Liberia Maryland Chelesy Abrams Visits Liberia West Africa (Part 1)

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
I awakened and looked out the window and all I saw was blue. I took a moment to try and gather myself as I realized I was nearing my destination. Over 24 hours of travel, and my journey was just beginning. Looking at the other passengers and looking at my watch, I was wondering how soon it would be until landing. I was in awe as I looked on the beautiful, blue sea and the sandy, white beach of a country that I have often dreamt about seeing – Liberia.
Liberia, our beautiful country. I arrived at Robertsfield Airport in Monrovia, Liberia on the day of our independence, July 26th. I was greeted by my grandmother, Anna Richards and my aunt, Wiyata Mensah, upon landing. And this is where my journey begins.
As we drove down the road, I sat looking out the window as my aunt and grandmother asked me about my trip. I’m looking at a place that was once destroyed, but I see so much hope as I am listening to the radio and looking at houses being rebuilt. When I arrived, there was the unfortunate event of the fire in the executive mansion, so security was all around. We had to take a few detours to get to the house since we could not pass by the street of the mansion. The entire ride from the airport to my family’s residence, I saw people celebrating on this great Independence Day. I remember thinking, despite everything that has happened everyone could still have so much joy and make the best out of what they were given.
My first stop was a very exciting one for me. We stopped by the soccer stadium, which also houses the Ministry of Youth and Sports, to see my uncle, the Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports, Marbue Richards. He came down and greeted me and took me into the building to show me where they have been playing their games. The stadium, which was in fairly good condition considering the circumstances, was decorated in red, white, and blue. He then took me upstairs where I met some of the football (soccer) team players and other employees of the ministry. I was greeted so warmly as everyone told me “Welcome home”.

Thursday, July 27, 2006
Everyday was an adventure while in Liberia. I began my first full day with a tour of the city given by my cousin Michael and my grandmother. We drove past Hotel Africa, which I was told was one of the largest, most elegant hotels in Liberia. The structure was still in relatively good standing, however, it is now being occupied by the UN. After passing by Hotel Africa, we went to CeCe Beach. My Aunty Glen told me I brought the sunshine, because despite all the rain the country had been experiencing because of busy season, the weather held up enough for me to enjoy the beach.
The beach was beautiful as was the establishment that was built on it. I looked out on the ocean on one of the few sunshine days as it ranged from a deep blue to a misty green. From the beach, I could see the whole downtown Monrovia. It was absolutely beautiful. While on the beach, I saw lizards and sand crabs. It was wonderful.
The next stop was the Ducal, often called the Plush Hotel and the tallest building in Monrovia. I found out when I returned home, this is where my parents spent part of their honeymoon. As Michael and I climbed the stairs, I began to feel all types of emotions. The building that I was told was one of the most beautiful hotels was now horribly destroyed and filled with several displaced families. It was painful seeing so many families living in a structure in which the stairways had no railings and there were absolutely no lights. As we neared the end of the dark stairway, I took a breath of relief, overcoming a slight fear I had of falling down the stairs. I thought of all the children who were playing as we were going up, they weren’t scared, and that gave me the strength I needed to continue. Once at the top of the building, it was wonderful. I could see everything. Michael pointed out my grandmother’s house and the Executive Mansion. I looked out again at the beautiful ocean, which seemed to be right below us.

Friday, July 28, 2006
I woke up to find a great breakfast had been prepared for me – cassava and fish gravy. I sat and enjoyed the wonderful meal as the rest of my family came down to join me for breakfast. We talked and enjoyed each other’s company as we prepared for the day.
This day was spent mostly enjoying the company of my family. I went to visit the trade fair where they were selling different items. The fair was held at City Hall where they also were hosting a Liberian Art Exhibit. The art work was beautiful and there were several sentimental pieces.
Later that evening, I met another cousin of mine, Wayne. He took me to one of the operating hotels and restaurants, Crystal Hotel in Mamba Point. The establishment was very nice, as was the food. We went and played pool and it was definitely one of the hang out spots in Liberia. It was nice to get a touch of the night life.

Saturday, July 29, 2006
Before I arrived to Liberia, I had spoken with my grandmother and she told me she had arranged a meeting for me with Madame President, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf in the Executive Mansion. However, to my dismay, the luncheon was cancelled due to the fire in the mansion. On Friday, we received news from her good friend Aunt Jenny, the president’s sister, that the lunch was re-scheduled for Saturday at the President’s house. On Saturday, my family and I prepared ourselves for lunch at the president’s.
When we arrived, we were the first guests and we went and sat in a gazebo arranged for the gathering. Other guests began to gather in and soon it was time for our host to arrive. When Madame President arrived, we all sat and began to talk. She said she wanted to hear our opinions of the country and what we feel would help with the continuous progress of Liberia. With the encouragement of my uncle, I stood to speak. I first began by telling her how much of an inspiration she has been to me and all of the other young women who were in the pageant through her courage by running and winning the election to become the first female president in all of Africa. I then told her how beautiful the country is and how I see so much potential. When I arrived, lights had been put up in one of the neighborhoods in Monrovia and several other areas were being lit. I continued by telling her that at the rate she is going with the help of all of us, the country will be even more beautiful than it was before. She than thanked me and told me that I inspired her

No comments: