Sunday, August 19, 2007

Liberian Pageants Exclusive interview with Miss Liberia in the US Mamawa Fofana


Mamawa briefly tell us about yourself?

I am a student at the University of Delaware and I am studying Mechanical Engineering. I enjoying dancing and it is one of my most passionate hobbies. My mother is one of the most influential people in my life, and she has instilled in me morals and strong ethical values.

Tell me about the competition? How did you relate to the other ladies?

The competition was very exciting. It was definately a once in a lifetime experience that I will hold close to my heart. I related to the other ladies in so many ways, we shared the same goal of working together to make this pageant one of LUWIP's most known and memorable pageants, and I believe we did so!! Also they were all very friendly and caring individuals, and we plan to keep in touch with each other through phone conversations and visits.

Briefly describe your pageant week experience?

The pageant week experience was new and intersting. We did a lot of traveling which was fun. We went from the Warwick Hotel, to the Hamptons, to the Sheraton Hotel in New York City to the Hampton Inn in Philadlphia!! We certainly enjoyed our Beauty Pageant Boot Camp and could say that we all successfully completed training to the highest degree. It was simply amazing!

What are some of the prizes you received along with the Miss Liberia in the US title?

I recieved a sash, crown, a scholarship cash prize, a laptop, and a Mary Kay gift basket.


What role has pageants played in your life?

The role pageants have played in my life is the fact that they have taught me to keep my head up high. When the going gets tough, keep moving forward. Some of the best things in life are worth fighting for, and you have to give it all you have so that you can prove to yourself that it is important and a significant matter in your life.

What has participating in the Miss Liberia in the US Pageant System done for you?

It has encouraged me to invite other people to get involved. Also it has stregnthened me as a Liberian women. It is something that I plan to be a part of in the future through volunteering efforts even after my reign.


What encouragement has your family given you to help you prepare for today?

My family has prayed for me as well as given me encouraging words of advice. They have kept in touch with me the whole process and have wished me well. The day of the pageant I was blessed and honor to have them there as well as close friends from my University, who very much are an integral part of my life as well.


What would you say is one of your greatest accomplishments up to date?

I would have to say that being crowned Miss Liberia in the U.S. is one of my greatest accomplishements up to date. And oh yeah being born!


What is your greatest passion?

My greatest passion is dancing. There is nothing better than enjoying what you do, and being able to entertain people in the process. Many people love to see me dance, and I am thankful that I am capable of sharing my talents with others.


Can you tell us about your educational background?

I attended P.S. 36 in the Bronx, NY, and then I went to middle school I.S. 174 in the Bronx, NY as well. I went to high school at Western Senior High School in Baltimore, MD, and graduated 4th in my class. And lastly I am a third year student at the University of Delaware studying Mechanical Engineering.


What has been the foundation of your sucesss?

The foundation of my sucess roots in my strong belief in God and having a wonderful mother by my side the whole way through. Also great siblings and beautiful friends.


What are your future plans?

My future plans right now are to continue to be a role model at home, at school, at my place of worship and mostly in the Liberian community. I plan on successfully completing my degree at Univeristy of Delaware and pursuing graduate school. I also want to start a non-profit organization that focuses on math and science programs, to increase the potential that exists in low income communities.

What are your plans as Miss Liberia in the US how do you plan to give back to community ?

My plans as Miss Liberia in the U.S. is to fufill my platform on educating our people on drug awareness and drug abuse and how it effects us as a whole entity. I plan to give back to the community through volunteering efforts and making my voice heard to help those in need.


What would you tell other young Liberian Women who are considering participating in their local state pageant ?

I would tell them to work hard, but to have fun. The pageant is a good way to meet new people and to learn about yourself as an individual. Definately do not get upset if things don't work out in your favor, simply because there are better things to come.

What message do you have for Liberians in the US?

The message I have for Liberians in the U.S. is thank you for believing in yourself as a people. We are beautiful both inside and out, and maintaing a sense of pride is more than an honor but a privelage. To be born of Liberian decent is an ongoing blessing for generations to come.


Thank you

No comments: